Tuesday, January 20
Great moment in time!
Today (Yesterday...well now two days ago) was one of those days that I will look back on many years from now and remember what I was wearing and who I was with (which was a brown dress and eight year olds!). My class did a big study earlier in the year about the election. Our month long study included things I didn't even know! I was more into politics than ever before. Yesterday I turned on the TV in my room and we watched the whole Inauguration. We were sitting on my rug in the middle of my room, the girls were playing with my hair and the boys were laying down...all of us so focused on what was going on. It was such a unique moment that doesn't happen much in the crazy school year. My favorite moment was when Obama was walking down that long hall before they announced him. He looked very stoic and just soaking in the moment. I teared up and this sweet one in my class leaned over and said, "I am proud of him too!" Now...I have to admit I have a true conservative Republican teacher and didn't vote for Obama but the minute I found out he was our going to be our President I threw my support behind him. That was a big thing I emphasized to my kids that as Americans we support whoever wins. The day of the election I even had some tears shed over the election results because they didn't understand why their guy didn't win. OK...back to my story...so when they finally announced Obama and asked everyone to stand...my whole class stood up (I am not sure why) and put their hand over thier hearts. It was precious. Then Rick Warren said his prayer. Now being a teacher in the public school setting that is something I cannot do with my children even though I pray for them daily. I looked around and some of my kiddos had their little heads bowed and hands in prayer...once again tears. Then Rick Warren lead them in the Lord's Prayer and some of my kids were so excited that they knew it they just joined in. I sat back soaking in the historic moment I had just witnessed, watching my kids so proud they knew how to pray. It was a moment I will never forget and probably one of the top ten as a teacher. I was proud to be an American and proud to have those children a part of my life this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
it sounds like you are such a good teacher! what a great way to get them excited about politics.
beautifully told :-)
Wow--I don't remember what we did for my mother's 50th--I'm a little ashamed of myself and my siblings but very impressed by what y'all did!
Post a Comment