ENJOYING THE SWEET THINGS FROM ABOVE...JOIN THE JOURNEY!

Tuesday, October 6

Sisters trip to New York!

Right when school got out I was able to take a GREAT trip with my little sister and Bonnie to New York. First off, this trip wouldn't have been possible if two very generous people, My Grandpa and Shane's aunt Marla, had not helped us out with airline miles and a place to stay. I can't say thank you enough because it turned out to be a trip I am sure I won't forget for a long time. For those of you who know me well...you know I think my sister is pretty much the coolest cat in the world. She is my best friend and I can't get enough time with her. We have never really been on a trip just the two of us so this was a FABULOUS first of many trips together. And Bonnie wasn't that bad either! Just kidding...Bonnie is Courtney's roommate from college and the daughter of the couple who we host small group with. I know that was a lot of information but all you have to know is that she is so fun to be around and I am very thankful my sister has a friend like her. OK...now for the fun stuff...our trip in pictures!We arrived at about 1:15 in the morning and went straight to bed! We woke up at 5 the next day to go see Regis and Kelly...only to find out they were not taping that day. First attempt...strike one! So we toured around the city and for sure looked like tourist... We then decided to go to a show so (of course) had to buy dresses while we were out because we didn't have time to head back to Marla's place. Somehow I bought two and Courtney ended up wearing one...STORY OF MY LIFE! We saw SHREK which was very cute. We decided that if we hung out with Shrek in real life we would all have crushes on him. Around the corner from Marla's place were these cute doorways. After many "walk past them girls" these two ended up having a photo shot inside them. Thus... Shopping in China Town proved to be a very successful day! With lots of perfume and dresses (and a random elephant thing) we were quite satisfied with our purchases! It rained quite a bit but LUCKILY we had matching umbrellas with our names monogrammed on them...wonder who is dorky enough to do that? While strolling the streets one day we came across a Puerto Rican Day parade. Courtney fit in just fine...Bonnie and I stuck out quite a bit! One night we went to the New York City Ballet (in our new dresses). Lets just say we decided we were not the most "properly mannered" individuals. We got flashlighted a couple of times! One day we packed our lunch and headed into town for a day in central park. We had to stop for dessert at Magnolia Bakery...heavenly! These are out of order but I wanted everyone to see what I really have to deal with...she is biting my face...seriously. Bonnie was a PRO at getting us around town...I was our time keeper and event organizer...so we asked Courtney what her job was? Her response was "to look cute!" Really folks! I must admit...she is pretty cute! The subway was flying past them in this picture. Our picnic in Central Park was so great. It amazes me how this busy city has this whole other world inside of it. Grass then sky scrapers...crazy! We were determined to find the perfect spot to eat lunch, read, and play cards. And then Bonnie and I climbed a rock... And then Bonnie nearly fell down a rock... And then we found what we were looking for a spent a couple of hours at our picnic. We played "BS" while others around us were napping, strolling...we were slapping each other hands and screaming out when we lost...classic! I feel like our entire trip revolved around the shows we went to see, what we were wearing, and what we were going to eat afterwards. Clearly a little to excited about cupcakes! Tiny little statue of liberty in the background...Courtney was underwhelmed! We also went to the 911 Memorial Museum. I had been there before but I think if you go to New York you have to walk through it to truly understand the event. The girls were in the 5th grade when that happened so it was very moving to see their reactions to the sights and sounds inside the museum. There is a building next to the museum that is not even HALF the size of the world trade center and it seems huge to us. Courtney was standing at the base of it just looking up and said, "I never knew it was that big." I am glad we went! I am also glad we watched these crazies perform a show out on the pier and snuck away before they ask you for money...I can't ever say no to those things so we had to leave. AND TO THE GREATEST MOMENT OF OUR TRIP...we saw Shrek, Chicago, and most importantly MAMMA MIA on Broadway. The three of us were obsessed with the music to begin with and had watched it multiple times to prepare us for our big night. We went out to dinner (and ate fried avacados!) and headed down to Broadway. Our tickets were front and center and perfect. We were like little giddy school girls, singing, clapping, dancing...it was great. Bonnie was in love with the lead actor! I liked it so much that at the end I was clapping so hard I busted a diamond out of my wedding band...don't worry I found it...price you have to pay for the greatness of Mamma Mia. Random man jumped in our picture. Totally normal. We then played on Times Square...these two are weird. The next morning we tried Regis and Kelly again...getting in line before 5 am we were positive we could get tickets. After standing in the rain for hours we sent Courtney back to get us warmer clothes to put on while we waited. After another couple of hours the producers came out to tell us they needed ONE person to fill the audience so numbers 3,4, and 5 in the waiting line got nothing. Second attempt...strike two! We did see Regis as he was walking in...small token considering the hours of freezing rain we stood in...oh well it was all about making memories! We ended our trip visiting with Cousin Kim who lives in New York at this precious tea room. It was great catching up with her! There are so many more stories that I could tell about this trip. We had so much fun living the high life in New York (which included Starbucks at 1 am) and spending time being together. We played poker on the nasty streets while we waiting in line for tickets. We cuddling ALL IN ONE KING SIZE BED so we could stay up late and talk. Girl trip to the max and one I will never forget. Thanks Bonnie and Courtney...love you girls!

No comments: