Tuesday, February 17
I've never been so proud to be a prude!
We spent two weeks ago at a Purity Retreat for our youth group at our church. I am obsessed with our church right now! I always knew we were blessed when we found the church home just right for us but this past weekend I was made aware of more reasons why I love Greenville Oaks Church of Christ. Every other year they offer the purity retreat to teens 7th-12th grade. It is not like a stay up late playing jokes kind of retreat but a deep, intense weekend...and the kids know that coming into the weekend. We had a guest speaker who I LOVED from Ultimate Escape in Nashville, Tennessee. We first discussed how consumed our culture was in sending the wrong message of sex (in which Shane and I decided our children our not leaving our house and will never watch T.V.!) then how God intended it to be a blessing not something that is never spoken about or deemed wrong. We discussed the many obstacles in overcoming temptations related to purity. The speakers big point was that you have to be knowledgeable in order to set boundaries. Then members from our church told their stories. All the way from being abused as children and redeemed through God's grace to the blessing of waiting the joy it brings. Shane and I sat on a panel as the kids texted in questions for us to answer. Man...there were some toughies and some I didn't know what they were talking about! We also divided up boys and girls and I let the boys ask questions, those were fun! My main thing to my small group was what a blessing it is to them to be able at such a young age to make this commitment. On Saturday night if they felt they were ready they committed to remaining pure until marriage. Then on Sunday morning they presented those kiddos to the church and we vowed to keep them accountable. They then are all given matching rings from their parents. It was so precious! All in all I was very excited to have been a part of this weekend and share with girls the great blessing it is to find a man that respects you enough to wait.
Some helpers from the weekend! Love these two ladies bunches!
Oh and I just wanted to document that our child (aka the guitar) travels everywhere with us! Shane was in heaven to have a big crowd!
OK...so we waited until we got married to have sex and NOW...transition to Valentine's Day. From pure to not so pure...just kidding Mom if you are reading this!
We start out Valentines by participating in a Garner tradition of Valentines Breakfast. For as long as I can remember my mom makes breakfast and goes all out this morning. Everything is in the shape of hearts, there are candles, and little Valentines treats! It has been nice living back in the area so Shane and I can partake in this favorite tradition of mine. This year since our crowd was small (Jonathan and Courtney were at school) we invited the Kerby's (friends from church and Jill and I teach together). So at 6:40 here we all are!
Shane and I celebrated Valentines Day by BEING IN TOWN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ELEVEN WEEKS! I told him all I wanted was to sleep in in my own bed. So we did just that! Then went to breakfast at our favorite little place, got our haircuts together, watched movies, went to dinner at Goodhues in downtown McKinney and went to bed early. It was heavenly! At dinner we realized this was our seventh Valentines Day to celebrate together so we tried to go back and see if we could remember what we did for each one. We have fun laughing about old outfits, gifts, and memories. Hope your weekend was filled with lots of love and laughter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That sounds like a GREAT retreat. We need to take our youth group to one like that!
I'm always so encouraged that others feel as blessed by GO as I do! You and Shane are so great with the kids, I'm sure your a blessing to them! Thanks for doing all you do!
Post a Comment